Thursday, May 2, 2013

Family is everything

The gardens we visited for our field trip we utterly amazing! I was astounded to see how well preserved the ancient gardens and villa's were.

The rest of the week flew by, with a local trip to the Duomo for my Art History class, we are now learning more about High Renaissance artists. And luckily the famous Pinturicchio is very well known in Siena because of his fresco cycles in the Siena Cathedral Piccolomini Library. The frescos are is such great shape, full of amazing color, and tell stories of Pope Pius II's life.
I am currently writing my final paper on Pinturicchio's Annunciation, located in Rome  in the Capella Bella (1500-1501) and the Library fresco's were painted shortly after in 1503-1508. It is amazing to see them in person after studying his work for so long!

Friday was our last Art History field trip to Florence. In the morning when we first arrived Roberto did not tell us where exactly we were going, until we got off the local bus and arrived at the most AMAZING church. San Miniato al Monte -- I think this one competes for a spot in my top 5!!! It was stunning and there was the most amazing fresco of St. Christopher when we walked in. When you walk out of the church there is a breathtaking view of all of Florence. You can see the Duomo, the river, Ponte Vecchio, and the mountains in the far distant. Absolutely amazing.

--interruption worth mentioning (because I need to remember it)
I had dinner with Lorenzo tonight and when I speak to him in English he always yells jokingly "In Italiano Kali!! Non capisco!" We always have a fun dinner together, and he is adorable.
My italian sister has her final exam tomorrow and she walked into the area im studying to tell me she has anxiety for tomorrow and that her teacher makes them take two final exams to finish their degree, meanwhile she is explaining all of this in Italian to me, she explains that he is too old to be teaching still! "Lui รจ troppo vecchio e deve GO HOME" (He is too old and he has to go home). It was the perfect bonding moment.
And then Anna Maria, my italian mother, walks in from yoga and was so excited to show Elena and I the move she accomplished tonight (warrior 3). I love my family and I really got lucky with them!

From there we visited the Pitti Palace near the Bobili Gardens. Where we saw miraculous works from Raphael and so many other talented Renaissance painters and sculptors!
Our third leg of the trip was to the Uffizi (of course) and we had our looking assignments. Unfortunately my piece of art work was closed and I was so bummed! Doing research on a specific artwork and then being able to see it in real life is the coolest thing! I was soooo mad!

When I got home from Florence Elena told me we were all going out for Lorenzo's birthday dinner. I HAD NO IDEA IT WAS HIS BIRTHDAY!! Schedule was supposed to go like this: Be ready by 7:45, leave the house all together at 8:00 dinner at 8:30.
Instead we were on Italian time.
Of course I was on time. Showered and all dolled up by 7:45 (make up and everything!). 8:07 Elena was still in the shower and Lorenzo hadn't showered yet. Anna Maria was upstairs watching her Soap program, Lorenzo in shower at 8:20. Anna Maria comes down at 8:40, Elena isn't ready. Decides to have her boyfriend come get her instead of come with the family. Lorenzo wants to drive separate so he can go out after dinner. Anna Maria and I leave the house with her boyfriend Giuseppe at 9:00.
I got to meet Nona and Zio (Grandma and Uncle). They are wonderful and so easy to talk to!! We ate, drank, and laughed for hours. When his 24th birthday cake came out family pictures were a must! He got one with his mom and then sister "my girls" he exclaimed. And then after Anna Maria said, "Lorenzo you need to get one with Kali, she's part of our family," he slapped his knee and said "come on!!" It was definitely a memorable moment for me. I love the tradition of have family dinners every night.

Saturday was rainy. I stayed in most of the day, crocheted, talked to mom, and worked on homework. Had lunch with some girlfriends at our local neighborhood bar and worked on homework together. We went out for pizza Saturday night, which was hilarious. I ordered the so called "Devils Pizza" because it was said to be spicy.. it was a let down! Spice here does NOT exist!! I also met a group of women outside the pizza parlor that work for an International Baccalaureate school. They gave me a lot of information about what they do and the places that this international education job can take you. I am going to look into this further, because I have always enjoyed children-- and I think teaching would be perfect for me.

**another interruption.. Elena is sitting across from me and watching me type. "Do you look at the screen or keyboard when you type?" me: "the screen" elena: "How?! "
Oh the little moments. I wish I could remember all of them.

Sunday was also a rainy day, but a great one to catch up on homework!

This week went by very fast as well! Monday- a normal day. Decided to work with a pinhole camera for my final photography project.  Really loving the way my images are coming out with a painting effect, almost an etherial glow!




When I got home from shooting some landscapes nearby my host sister was almost out the door for a run.. i asked if i could join her and she said of course! It was probably the greatest 47 minute Italian lesson I've had yet. I learned a unprecedented amount of swear words that I had to promise not to repeat in front of our italian mother. It makes me really happy to have an older sister figure to talk to about everything (she even understands my boy problems!)

Tuesday I was lucky enough to watch my students dress rehearsal for their Grease performance this weekend!
-- I had no idea until Tuesday night that they are in a competition against 20 other elementary schools! I couldn't be more proud of them! I am so excited for Saturday it's not even funny!

Wednesday I went on an amazing walk with Gioia, her children, and their visitors to all of the Contrada Fountains. I am so lucky to be in such a beautiful city with one of the longest running traditions in Italy-- the Siena Contrada's (small neighborhoods).

I apologize for waiting so long to give updates but as the end of the semester abroad ends an even bigger adventure starts with my trips around EUROPE! If anyone reading this has friends in the following areas PLEASE let me know!
Amalfi Coast, Sicily, Barcelona, Madrid, Portugal (anywhere-- this leg of the trip is completely unplanned), Ireland (anywhere in the Republic), Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Switzerland.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!!

ciao
kali

No comments:

Post a Comment